Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fall Is A Time Of Renewal In Wine Country


Ah! Can you feel it? Fall is in the air. It is that ever so subtle feeling that you get. So hard to explain, yet so palpable. Just like every year since I can remember the change happens during fair week. Sometimes, the change is so small and imperceptible that you don’t notice it. Other times it roars in with a huge storm that rips all of the Coors banners off the fences at the rodeo grounds. Nevertheless, it has happened again, and boy am I excited!

My excitement is for more than one reason. First, I’m not a hot weather fan, and the 105 degree temperatures that we had this year were not what I’d call refreshing. Second, within just a few weeks crush will be upon us, signaling a whole bunch of new red wines to hit the market as vintages change and the wineries make room for new juice. As far as I’m concerned, Fall is the new Spring in wine country.

I was out on Red Mountain and in the Columbia Valley this week photographing vines and vineyards. This year’s harvest is looking to be fantastic. The clusters are heavy, with beautiful berries that are going to be rich from the cool spring and the substantial heat units that we received this July.

As I mentioned, there is a plethora of new wines getting ready to hit the market. New wines usually mean a celebration is in order. This week I’ve compiled some of the celebrations I’ve been invited to just this week. I’ll be at most, however it gets hard to keep up when you’re young, good looking, charming, talented…well you get the picture.

First, my friends Terrence and Evelyn Atkins, owners of Waving Tree Winery will be hosting a Labor Day Weekend Celebration September 5th through the 7th. They’ll be pouring their newest Gold Medal winners from the World Wine Championships, along with several of their other fantastic wines. For more information contact them at 509-250-1412.

The same weekend, my friends at Anelare will be hosting their 3rd annual New Release Event. Their new releases of the 2007 Ciel du Cheval Syrah, 2007 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007 “Nonna Viola”, and 2007 “Saint Helena” Syrah will be available for tasting. They are planning quite the celebration, with food, entertainment, and art from local artists on the weekend of September 5th and 6th. Contact them at (509) 588-6171 for more information.

Catch The Crush, the annual Columbia Valley AVA wine celebration will be happening on the weekend of September 26th and 27th. Wineries throughout the Columbia Valley will be opening for this celebration to offer winery tours, stomping contests, food, entertainment, and tastings of their newest releases.

But wait…there’s more! My last event is not exactly a new release party, but a fantastic evening of fun, friends, food, and wine. Picazo Seven Seventeen Restaurant in downtown Prosser is hosting a meet the artist night on Thursday, August 20th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.. The featured artist is yours truly, as my wine photography graces the walls of Picazo’s for the next few months. If you can make the event I would love to have you there as my honored guests. For more information you can contact me at (509) 586-6695 or at my blog http://www.onerichwineguy.blogspot.com/ .

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I greatly appreciate any and all comments and criticism, however because of the high level of spam I moderate all comments prior to publishing them.