Saturday, May 2, 2009

More New Wines For 2009

I can not tell a lie…This week I am seriously cheating on this article by continuing with more wines from the Graybeal trade tasting last week.

To begin, I wanted to mention L’Ecole No 41. Their table offered some real long-time favorites for me. The First being the Apogee. The 2005 vintage is back to being one of my favorite Walla Walla blends. It is boldly aromatic with aromas of cooking spices, leather, and tobacco. The dark stone fruit and chocolate make this wine absolutely delicious.

L’Ecole also tasted us on their 2005 Walla Walla Cabernet, 7 Hills Merlot, 2006 7 Hills Syrah, and several of their Columbia Valley Vintages. One of their other wines that I thoroughly enjoy every time I try it, is their “Walla Viola” Chenin Blanc. The 2007 Vintage continues in the Vouvray style which provides wonderful floral aromas and flavors.

Last week I didn’t mention Sineann. Paul, from Sineann (pronounced Shin-A-un) offered some wonderful glimpses at their newest vintages. One thing that I do have to say about Sineann is that they have some of the most elegant bottles I’ve ever encountered. If you want to be the life of the party bring one of these. The glass stoppers are an attractive alternative to screw caps, and protect the wines much better than cork.

Sineann’s 2006 Abondante was another brilliant flavored red blend made of Zinfandel, Cab Sauv, Syrah, Grenache, and Merlot. It could pass as a high-end old vine Zin, with it’s bright raspberry flavors and spices. Their 2006 Baby Poux Cabernet Sauvignon is definitely a keeper. One of my favorite wines from one of my favorite vineyards.

Mike from Coyote Canyon Winery also showed some very nice wines at the tasting. His Tres Cruces is full of flavors of black current and blackberries. There is also a wonderful essence of cinnamon throughout. His 2006 Robert Andrews Blend is a robust Rhone blend of Syrah, Grenache, and Viognier. I love Grenache, and this wine presents with the richness of the Grenache from beginning to end.

Ste Michelle Wine Estates was present with a collection of twelve different wines, from the ever amazing 2005 Col Solare red blend, and Spring Valley’s 2006 Uriah, to their 2007 Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling. They even poured one of my newer favorites…A 2004 Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico. The Marchese is not easy to find, but available at a few outlets in the area. It is an intense Chianti, with ruby color, and bright flavors of fruit and spices throughout.

Last, but not least, was an incredible lineup of wines from E.J. Gallo. They spared no expense in offering up wines from their Barefoot, Whitehaven, Frei Brothers, Gallo Reserve, and Mirassou lines. The Barefoot brand even had their “Barefooter” representative in town to hand out cute purple lays to guests.

Now, If you think Gallo makes cheap wines, you are 100% correct. But, if you haven’t had Whitehaven Pinot Noir or Sauvignon Blanc, then you are seriously missing out. I consider the Whitehaven Pinot to be one of the best Pinots on the market. And, the Sauvignon Blanc has received several Wine Spectator scores well into the 90s.

I hope you get out to your favorite wine shop, grocery, or restaurant this week and pick up some of these wines that I’ve suggested. If they don’t have them, then insist they bring them in for you. They owe you that much.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I greatly appreciate any and all comments and criticism, however because of the high level of spam I moderate all comments prior to publishing them.